Do air purifiers help with smell? This question has puzzled many people and has led to speculation about the effectiveness of air purifiers in addressing odors. In this article, we will discuss whether air purifiers can assist with eliminating unpleasant odors. Let’s dive into the details!
- Quick Answer
- Ways That Air Purifiers Use to Remove Odors
- 6 Types of Smells You Can Get Rid of With an Air Purifier
- Do Air Purifiers Make Your House Smell Better?
- How to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality for a Better House Smell
Yes. Air purifiers can help eliminate odors. They can also make the indoor air cleaner and fresher by removing air pollutants. However, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) cautions that this does not guarantee the complete elimination of all odors and lingering smells.
In this article, we will address the following questions:
- Can air purifiers help with odors?
- What types of odors can be eliminated with an air purifier?
- Is it possible for air purifiers to improve the overall smell of a home?
Keep reading to learn more about the limitations and effectiveness of air purifiers when dealing with bad smells.
Ways That Air Purifiers Use to Remove Odors
Air purifiers remove odors using a combination of fans and a HEPA filter. This feature allows it to erase airborne pollutants and larger particles from the air. However, the effectiveness of purifiers largely depends on the type of filter it uses. The main types of filters include:
- An activated carbon filter – This is effective at removing bad odors, gases, and chemical pollutants from the air. These filters absorb gaseous pollutants and odors using millions of tiny pores in the activated charcoal. However, an activated carbon filter becomes less effective over time and may need to be replaced when saturated with pollutants.
- HEPA filters – To remove VOCs, other air purifiers use HEPA filters or special building materials, such as a gas-tight metal enclosure. The effectiveness of a HEPA filter depends on the size, material, and the way the filter material was made. Some devices combine a HEPA air purifier with other technologies to eliminate odors and improve indoor air quality.
In addition to using specialized filters, some air purifiers also utilize UV light to destroy bacteria and give you healthy fresh air.
6 Types of Smells You Can Get Rid of With an Air Purifier
Various types of bad smells can be eliminated with the use of an air purifier. However, we will focus on the six most common and provide you with tips on how to eliminate them using your air purifying device. These smells include smoke, pet odors, food smells, garbage, dirty diapers, and basement smell.
Having foul odors in your home can be unpleasant, especially if you don’t have a good ventilation system in place. Once the tobacco smoke smell infiltrates your carpets, getting rid of it can be difficult.
One way to address this issue is to install an air purifier in your room. Several purifiers can help you deal with it, including:
- Air purifiers
- High-efficiency particulate air filters.
While these purifiers may work differently, most are designed to remove gases and other air odors. Purifiers that come equipped with carbon filters are particularly effective at removing offensive odors, as they can effectively trap and neutralize various types of particles.
Even if you give your pet regular baths, it is natural for them to shed dander and produce odors that can be noticeable throughout your home. An air purifier can be a helpful solution for removing odors and reducing the amount of pet dander in the air. Doing this eventually helps in dealing with allergic reactions.
Most air purifiers are equipped with activated carbon filters to get rid of bad smells effectively. Having an air purifier in each main room makes your house smell better and free of airborne particles.
Air purifiers can effectively eliminate the cooking odors of high-odor foods like fish. As a result, air purifiers allow you to cook your favorite meals without worrying about the bad home smell that may come afterward.
However, bad odors like oil smoke cannot be handled entirely by purifiers. To better address this issue, you can try placing your air purifier near the kitchen door or invest in a special oil fume purifier that uses ionization to neutralize the smell. This can help create a fresher and odor-free home.
Simply throwing out the trash may not be enough to remove bad smells completely, posing a threat to your home’s air quality.
While air fresheners may seem like a quick fix, they only work by masking odors and will eventually wear off. A more effective solution is to use a purifier like the Winix that has an air filter. This model can help improve air quality by trapping individual dust particles and other contaminants. This can be a more long-lasting and effective way to improve the air quality in your home.
Even when properly stored, used diapers can produce strong and unpleasant odors that make your home feel unsanitary. Luckily, an air purifier can be an effective solution for eliminating this type of odor.
Using a high-quality air purifier like the Winix HR900 guarantees optimal odor removal, helping to keep your baby’s room and entire home free from the smells of dirty diapers.
Musty Basement Smell
Your basement can have a musty smell due to excess moisture, which leads to the growth of mold spores.
An air purifier can help by using filter layers to absorb mold, bacteria, and other volatile organic compounds like benzene. It also eliminates all the bad smells that can be harmful to your health.
However, an air purifier will not completely solve this mold spores problem. You should consider disinfecting the room for a long-lasting solution to improve the clean air delivery rate.
With activated carbon components, you can effectively remove airborne particles and musty smells from your home, making the air cleaner.
Do Air Purifiers Make Your House Smell Better?
Yes. Air purifiers help make your house smell better by removing particles and pet dander. An air purifier can improve the quality of air, making your home smell fresher. Furthermore, they can create a healthier and more comfortable living environment for yourself and your family.
How to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality for a Better House Smell
Apart from using an air purifier, you can use several other methods to improve the quality of air in your house. They include:
- Opening windows – Opening your windows allows air to circulate through your home and helps keep it ventilated and smelling fresh.
- Having plants in the house or balcony – Planting flowers on the balcony will help in purifying the air. Plants act as natural air cleaners by absorbing all the fumes and pollutants from the atmosphere.
- Dusting and vacuuming regularly – This can help remove particles from the air and improve the quality of air.
- Using natural cleaning products – Natural cleaning products can help reduce the number of chemicals and pollutants in your home.
- Ensuring that your home is well-sealed and insulated – This can prevent outside air from entering and help maintain a fresher and healthier living environment.
Will air purifiers get rid of smells?
Yes. Air purifiers can effectively eliminate various odors, including those from animals, cooking, and baby diapers.
Can air purifiers remove the smoke smell?
An air purifier can be used to eliminate the smell of smoke by placing it at your kitchen door. However, for a more permanent solution, you may consider using a special oil fume purifier specifically designed to remove odors from cooking and other similar sources.
What other methods can you use to make your house smell better?
You can improve indoor air by opening your windows during the day to allow for good airflow. Potted plants and flowers can also purify the air and add a pleasant scent to your home.
Do air purifiers help with pet animal smell odors?
Yes. You can use an air purifier to eliminate cooking odors, such as those from fish, and help to make your kitchen and dining area smell better after cooking.
Air purifiers are effective against various unpleasant smells, so buying one will certainly make the air in your home cleaner and more pleasant.
What kind of odors do you have to deal with in your home? Please share with us in the comments section and we will recommend the most suitable model for your needs.
Дэнни — страстный писатель, который любит делиться своими знаниями об очистителях воздуха. Он писал в течение последних 10 лет, и он поделится всем этим опытом со зрителями Very Well Home, чтобы помочь вам принять более правильное решение, когда придет время купить его!