Do you love your pets but find their fur, dander, and odor troublesome? Then this Winix HR900 Review is for you! Having an effective air purifier will easily cope with the problems of all these problems. Let’s dive into the details!
The stylish and quiet Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet Air Purifier comes with a pet pre-filter, triple smart sensors, auto, and sleep modes, and a child lock feature. Its filters have been uniquely designed, keeping pet owners in mind.
The five-stage air filtration process cleans the air of pet hair, dander, and odor caused by cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits, birds, and other furry companions.
Aside from that, it also eliminates dust, dirt, mold spores, pollen, VOCs, smoke, bacteria, and other toxic airborne particles from the air. Hence, people suffering from asthma and pet allergies can benefit the most from this air purifier.
Let’s begin the in-depth Winix HR900 review with its pros and cons.
Winix HR900 Air Purifier Pros & Cons
There are multiple benefits and disadvantages associated with using Winix HR900, as listed below:
Specifications of Winix HR900 Air purifier
The specifications of the Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier are as follows:
- Manufacturer: Winix
- Model: HR900
- Voltage: AC 120 V/60 HZ
- Power rate: 90W
- Room size: 300 Sq ft
- Dimensions: 16.3 (W) — 9.6 (D) — 23.6 (H)
- Weight: 18.7 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years
- Filter types: Ultimate pet pre-filter, Washable fine mesh pre-filter, Washable AOC activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and Plasmawave
- Filter life: Pet pre-filter – 1 month, Carbon filter – 1 year, HEPA filter – 1 year
- Control method: Manual control with auto and sleep modes
- Fan speed: Low, medium, high, and turbo
- Noise level: 26 dB at the lowest fan setting and 55.2 dB at turbo.
- Timer options: 1, 4, and 8 hours
Winix HR900 Top Features
Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier has a wide range of advanced features for easy accessibility and convenience.
Here are the top features you will benefit from the most:
1. Odor sensor
The odor smart sensor detects the amount of suspended odorous particles in the air, mainly pet odors.
2. Dust sensor
The dust smart sensor, located on the right side of the Winix HR900, determines the air quality by detecting the number of dust particles in the air.
It has a removable cover for cleaning purposes.
3. Air Quality Indicator
Winix HR900 has a LED light that indicates the air quality of the surrounding. If the quality is poor, the light turns red, amber for fair, and blue light for good.
4. Auto mode
In Winix HR900, auto mode works with the help of dual smart sensors (odor and dust).
- The sensors determine the air quality and send signals to the air cleaning system.
- Based on this information, the auto mode adjusts the fan speed to high or turbo if it is poor, medium for fair, and low for good.
You can use the auto mode for the automatic functioning of the air purifying device.
5. Light sensor
The light smart sensor detects the amount of ambient light in the surroundings and helps the sleep mode in operation.
6. Sleep mode
The light sensor detects the amount of ambient light in the environment and automatically turns on sleep mode in the dark. Sleep mode enables the air purifier to work at an ultra-quiet low fan speed.
It also shuts off all the LED lights except the mode indicator. It ensures you get your beauty sleep without disturbance.
7. Child lock
People with kids or pets benefit the most from the child lock feature, as the two are prone to messing around with shiny things. If you do not pay attention, they might change the setting of the air purifier.
The child lock disables the control panel. No one can change the settings until it is deactivated. It means you are stress-free, and the kids get to have fun.
Winix HR900 air purifier has been accredited with various certifications like cUL, CARB, AHAM, and Energy Star, to name a few.
- Being cUL listed means Winix HR900 passes the electrical safety requirements set by the board.
- It assures the users that the device is electrically safe to use.
- CARB certification indicates that the air purifier meets the emission standards set by the board and does not produce any ozone.
- Winix HR900 has an energy star certification due to its low power consumption and efficient energy usage.
9. Noise level
Users praise the quietness of the Winix HR900 air purifier. It emits an average of 26 dB of noise at its lowest and 55.2 dB at turbo mode, its highest fan setting. The noise level is so low that it often goes unnoticed.
Winix HR900 also does not make any loud adjustment noise while switching between the fan speeds.
Winix HR900 Air Filter Types
The Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier has a rigorous five-stage air filtration process that cleans the air of pet hair, dander, and pet odor. It also carries out the normal functions of an air purifier, like cleaning the air of dust, smoke, VOCs, dirt, pollen, and bacteria.
Let’s discuss each one of Winix HR900 air filters in further detail.
1. Ultimate pet pre-filter
The Winix HR900 air purifier has a distinct pet filter that captures pet hair, dander, and fur.
- The pet filter is a thin paper filter that separates solid particles from liquids and gases. It cannot be washed and has a high probability of breaking due to its fragile nature.
- The pre-filter needs replacement every month. If you do so regularly, it will help the remaining filters to work optimally.
2. Washable fine mesh pre-filter
After processing through the ultimate pet pre-filter, the air passes through the washable fine mesh pre-filter. It captures the remaining large particles that escaped the pet filter, like dust mites, pet hair, dirt, fiber, pet dander, and cinder particles.
- Pet and fine mesh pre-filters provide double pre-filtration against pet dander, hair, and fur.
- The fine mesh filter is washable and can be reused permanently. You must clean it every 14 days with a fine brush, vacuum cleaner, or clean water.
- Regular maintenance of the pre-filter extends the life of the remaining filters.
3. Washable AOC-activated carbon filter
The activated carbon filter removes Volatile Organic Compounds and unwanted odors, specifically pet odors, from the indoor environment.
- The frame of the carbon air filter is honeycomb shaped
- It has solid carbon pellets installed inside for advanced odor control.
- The room smells fresh and deodorized when the air purifier is on.
- The AOC (Advanced odor control) filter is washable.
- You must clean it every three months by running it under a light stream of clean water and letting it dry for more than 24 hours before slotting it again in the air purifier. Do not use detergent or soap.
- It needs replacement every 12 months due to a drop in the filter performance after every wash.
4. True HEPA filter
The true HEPA filter, made from dense fiber, captures 99.97% of airborne contaminants down to 0.3 microns.
- It catches ultra-fine particles of pet dander, mold spores, pollen, allergens, microscopic dust, and bacteria.
- It contributes the most to enhancing the indoor air environment.
- The HEPA filter is nonwashable and needs replacement every 12 months. The filter replacement cost is expensive.
Winix air purifiers have a patented Plasmawave technology.
- Plasmawave releases positively and negatively charged ions in the air.
- These ions break the harmful airborne particles at a molecular level, thus destroying them by disintegration.
- According to the Winix company, Plasmawave is safe and does not produce dangerous ozone.
- Yet if you wish to turn it off, you can use the Plasmawave button.
Winix HR900 Room Size Coverage
Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier is designed for medium-sized rooms with a coverage of 300 sq ft. Many users share that it works well even for areas exceeding the specified room coverage.
As for the placement of the Winix HR900, install it in a room your pet occupies the most, like:
- Pet room
- Living room
- Dining room
- Kids’ bedroom
Winix HR900 ACH Rating
Air Changes Per Hour are referred to as ACH. It shows the number of times an air purifier will modify the entire airflow of a room in an hour.
- Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier has an ACH rating of 4x.
- It turns around the entire air volume in a room four times in 60 minutes.
- If the pets wreak havoc or the air feels stuffy when you reach home, you can get fresh air within 15 minutes of activating it.
Winix HR900 CADR Rating
AHAM, an independent organization, ascertains the CADR rating. CADR, or clean air delivery rate, determines how well an air purifier removes pollen, smoke, and dust from the air.
Winix HR900 CADR ratings are:
- Dust 200
- Smoke 194
- Pollen 220
CADR correlates to the room size coverage. If the CADR is closer to the room size coverage, the air purifier is more efficient at cleaning the air.
Winix HR900 has a relatively good CADR score which means it is efficient at cleaning the air.
Winix HR900 Design and Size
The subtle white color of the Winix HR900 Ultimate pet air purifier makes it blend seamlessly with any decor.
But unlike many other air purifiers, it is bulky and cannot be easily moved. Though there are handles on the front panel and the sides to help you carry it from one room to another.
The dimensions and weight of the Winix HR900 are:
- Dimensions: 16.3 (W) — 9.6 (D) — 23.6 (H)
- Weight: 18.7 lbs
Winix HR900 has an air intake grill on the front panel. The air intake grill has different-sized perforations for the air to pass through.
The air outlet vent, through which the purified air is circulated back into the room, is located at the top of the air purifier.
The control panel is also located at the top, adjacent to the air outlet vent.
It has clearly labeled buttons and indicators, which are as follows:
1. Filter replacement indicator
The filter replacement indicator on the control panel of the Winix HR900 indicates when the carbon and true HEPA filters need replacement.
As you will know when to replace the filters, it eliminates the guesswork.
2. Filter reset button
Press the filter reset button once you have replaced the carbon or true HEPA filter.
3. Fan speed and mode button
You can adjust the fan setting or switch between auto and night modes with the mode button.
4. Fan speed and mode indicator
The mode indicator indicates the fan setting (low, medium, high, or turbo) or the mode (auto and sleep) at which the Winix HR900 is functioning.
5. Plasmawave button
You can activate Plasmawave using this button.
6. Plasmawave indicator
This LED light indicates if the Plasmawave is activated.
7. Timer indicator
If you want to run the Winix HR900 air purifier for a specific time of 1, 4, or 8 hours, then you can schedule it using the timer.
8. Child lock button
You can activate the child lock using this button.
9. Child lock indicator
It indicates if the child lock is on.
10. Power button
The power button switches the Winix HR900 on or off.
11. Air quality indicator
The Winix HR900 air quality indicator is a LED light that determines the air quality as poor, fair, or good.
Who should use a Winix HR900 air purifier?
Even though the Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier is designed primarily for pet owners, anyone looking for an air-cleaning device can use it.
Winix Hr900 air purifier is for you if you:
- Have pets, or your friends and family bring them over. If you find their pet hair, dander, and odor troublesome and wish to remove them from the air
- Have asthma or allergies
- Have young kids
- Want to eliminate VOCs, smoke, unwanted odors, and harmful bacteria from the air and breathe clean air.
Winix HR900 Warranty Information
Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier comes with a two-year warranty. In case of any defect or damage, the air purifier will be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer.
This warranty claim makes Winix HR900 air purifier a risk-free purchase.
Should you buy the Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet Air Purifier?
There are reasons why you should buy the Winix HR900 air purifier:
- Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier has an excellent air cleaning performance with its five-stage filtration process.
- The pet pre-filter provides double pre-filtration against pet dander and hair. The advanced odor control filter enhances control against pet odors.
- Although you have to clean the washable pre-filter every 14 days and the carbon air filters every three months, they are simple to clean and consume minimal maintenance time.
- Winix air purifiers are considered one of the best air purifiers in terms of quietness and design. The well-labeled control panel is easy to use and navigate.
- The auto and sleep modes operating with the help of triple smart sensors make your workload in looking after the air purifier almost negligible.
Winix HR900 air purifier is unquestionably worth the cost. There are not many premium air purifiers in the same price range as the Winix HR900 possessing as many outstanding functions and filters.
More Winix HR900 Reviews
Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier has an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 on Amazon.
- Users commend the air purifier for its low maintenance and quietness.
- Pet owners consider Winix HR900 the ultimate pet air purifier one of the best air purifiers to eliminate pet dander, hair, and odor.
- They say that they felt a tremendous shift in the air quality after using Winix HR900.
- Users also highly praise the auto and sleep modes.
More such reviews you can find on Amazon.
Winix HR900 Review – FAQs
Is Winix air purifier good for mold?
Yes, Winix air purifiers are beneficial for eradicating mold. The true HEPA filter traps mold spores from the air, thus reducing mold growth.
Is Winix air purifier good for pets?
Yes, Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier is favorable for pet owners. It eliminates pet dander, hair, and odor from the air and improves indoor air quality.
Should I leave my Winix air purifiers on all the time?
Yes, you can leave your Winix air purifiers on all the time. They are energy efficient and have low power consumption. Our bonus advice would be to leave the air purifier inÂ auto mode. It will automatically adjust the fan settings according to the air quality without you having to worry about it.
How effective is PlasmaWave?
Plasmawave emanates hydroxyls in the environment that react with the moisture causing the bacteria and virus particles to break at a molecular level. It is safe and effective in naturally purifying the air.
Final Thoughts on Winix HR900 Review
Winix HR900 ultimate pet air purifier is specifically built for people with pets at home. It is the best air purifier contender with advanced features, modes, and an easy-to-use design.
In addition to being pet-friendly, Winix HR900 also carries out the general functions of an air purifier exceptionally well.
We hope this Winix HR900 review was helpful to you. So, are you planning to buy the Winix HR900 to relish quality time spent with your pets? Do you have any additional questions about the theme, please ask them in the comments below.
Danny is a passionate writer who loves to share his knowledge about air purifiers. He’s been writing for 10 years, and he’ll share all that experience with Very Well Home viewers to help you make the best decision when it’s time to buy an appliance!