Which is the best air purifier for a dorm room? Dorm room air isn’t always the best. Dorm rooms usually harbor different odors, dust, smoke, or even dampness, which gives it more reason to have an air purifier.
With a handful of air purifier options in the market today, you might need help choosing a good one. Keep reading to find out!
- Quick Answer
- Best Air Purifier for A Dorm Room – Top 9
- 1. Germ Guardian AC4825E
- 2. Levoit Core 300S
- 3. Levoit LV-H123 Air Purifier
- 4. Honeywell HPA 100 HEPA Air Purifier
- 5. Coway AP-1512HH
- 6. Hathaspace HSP-001 Air Purifier
- 7. Blueair 411 Auto
- 8. Levoit Core Mini
- 9. Pure Enrichment PureZone with True Hepa Filter
- Why Do I Need an Air Purifier for My Dorm Room?
- How Do Dorm Room Air Purifiers Work?
- How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for College Dorm Room
- Are Dorm Room Air Purifiers Worth Buying?
- Why Dorm Room Air Purifiers May Not Be for You
- Getting the Best From an Air Purifier
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
A college dorm room is always cramped. The stuffiness can produce a musty smell due to a lack of enough space and insufficient airflow. The best air purifiers for your college dorm room must come with distinct features:
- At least a triple filtration system with a true HEPA filter.
- High CADR rating.
- Sleep mode for quiet work.
So, which one is an excellent choice for a dorm room? Let’s take a deeper dive and find out the answer.
Best Air Purifier for A Dorm Room – Top 9
1. UV-C Light
153 Sq Ft
219 Sq Ft
129 Sq Ft
Price not available
155 Sq Ft
1. True HEPA filter
361 Sq Ft
1. Cold Catalyst Filter
700 Sq Ft
1. Washable fabric filter
190 Sq Ft
71 Sq Ft
200 Sq Ft
1. Germ Guardian AC4825E
- Easy to operate with its three fan speeds
- Its small size design easily fits in a dorm room
- The activated carbon filters quickly neutralize odors such as dust mites and cigarette smoke.
- Zero Ozone verified.
- Efficiently traps allergens, including pet hair and dust.
- It has an advanced four-stage filtration system
- It lacks an air quality sensor and, therefore, cannot detect real-time air quality.
- Quite noisy, producing 50dB of sound on the lowest setting.
The Germ Guardian AC4825E is an essential purifier with easy-to-use dial controls. It comes with three different fan speeds and can effectively clean the air in a room of up to 153 sq. ft. This air purifier performed commendably in tests and would be suitable for small to medium spaces such as college dorm rooms.
Germ Guardian AC4825E Features
Some notable features of the Germ Guardian AC4825E include:
- A HEPA filter activated carbon filter, and UV-C light effectively removes dust, allergens, smoke, airborne particles, and odors.
- It has three fan speeds, including an Ultra-quiet mode that operates silently.
- Provides air circulation of 4.8× per hour in spaces up to 153 sq. ft. and 1× per hour for rooms up to 743 sq. ft.
Germ Guardian AC4825E Specifications
Germ Guardian AC4825E
3-Stage filter: HEPA, UV-C Light, Activated Carbon
(99) for smoke, (118) for dust, and (125) for pollen
153 sq. ft
22H × 10.25W × 6.75D
2. Levoit Core 300S
- Perfect for small spaces up to 219 sq feet.
- The small, portable design allows it to fit in dorm rooms.
- It has 360 degrees HEPA filters that effectively remove allergens and dorm room odors.
- The air purifier has Auto mode and an Air Quality indicator.
- App connectivity, timer, and sleep mode ensure effortless control of your air purifier.
- You can readily purchase replacement filters from the three customizable options.
- The control panel is hard to use with several touch controls.
- Requires frequent maintenance as the pre-filter needs to be vacuumed every 2-4 weeks.
The Levoit Core 300S features three fan settings, sleep mode, and a special timer. It provides coverage for rooms up to 219 sq. feet, making it the best air purifier for college dorms. In addition, it features an air quality indicator and app connectivity to ensure efficient performance.
Levoit Core 300S Features
Let’s analyze the key features of the Levoit Core 300S air purifier to determine its suitability as a college dorm room air purifier:
- Easily accessible thanks to VeSync app connectivity which allows app control and voice commands for efficient air purification.
- Automatic Mode enables the purifier to select the appropriate settings.
- Sleep mode is available for quiet operation and is ideal for any college student who is a heavy sleeper. This mode also automatically disables all lights.
- The Activated Carbon filter has more carbon than most air purifiers, guaranteeing fresh air.
- It comes with a DC Motor that uses less energy while providing the same clean air delivery rate as the standard motor.
- It has three customizable replacement filters from which you can choose: The Pet Allergy, Smoke Remover, and Toxin Absorber Filters.
Levoit Core 300S Specifications
Levoit Core 300S
Dark Black, White, Cream White
3-Stage filter: HEPA, Pre-filter, Activated Carbon
(141) for smoke, (140) for dust, and (145) for pollen
219 sq. ft
14.17H × 8.66W × 8.66D
Air Filtration Technologies:
Real-Time Air Quality Sensor, Auto Mode, App Connectivity
3. Levoit LV-H123 Air Purifier
- The purifier has a simple and intuitive control panel with few inputs.
- The compact design of this air purifier makes it a good option for both dorm rooms and office use.
- The three-stage filters help improve indoor air quality by removing mold spores, pet dander, and any other available odors.
- The sleep mode comes with a night light and quiet operation, ensuring extra comfort.
- Ozone-free air purification
- Lacks a filter replacement indicator
- Removes unpleasant smells at a relatively slower rate.
The Levoit LV-H132 air purifier is a good budget option if you’re searching for a reliable one. The purifier comes with the basic three-stage filtration system, an optional night light, touch controls, and a sleek design. Regarding performance, this device can remove air pollutants from small rooms up to 129 sq. feet, making it ideal for use by college students or as a desktop air purifier.
Levoit LV-H123 Features
Levoit produces some of the best air purifiers for dorm rooms on the market today. Is the Levoit LV-H123 a good compact air purifier for the dorm room? Let’s go through some of its key features and find out.
- It has a three-stage filtration system that cleans the air effectively.
- The optional night light has two brightness settings allowing users to customize their preferred one.
- There is no need to worry about air filter replacements as the official True HEPA filter replacements are readily available.
- The purifier removes airborne contaminants quietly, having noise levels of 25 dB.
Levoit LV-H123 Specifications
3-Stage filter: 219 sq. ft
129 sq. ft
12.6H × 7.9W × 7.9D
4. Honeywell HPA 100 HEPA Air Purifier
- Small light design with side handles for easy portability.
- It is one of the best purifiers for dorm rooms as it covers small spaces of up to 155 sq. feet.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It is an Allergen Plus Series with filters dedicated to omitting allergens efficiently
- Easy to install, clean, and operate
- Frequent air filter replacement with carbon filters last for only three months, while the True HEPA filter lasts for twelve months.
- The air purifier is noisy, having 51.5dB in its lowest setting.
The Honeywell HPA 100 HEPA is a great air purifier for the dorm room, having a maximum coverage of 155 sq. feet. It has three fan settings, a True HEPA filter, an activated carbon filter, and a pre-filter, efficiently removing air particles for clean air.
Since HEPA and carbon filters occasionally require replacement, it comes with a filter replacement indicator that will notify you when you should change them.
Honeywell HPA 100 Features
The Honeywell HPA 100 makes it to my list of the best air purifiers for dorm rooms. So, why would college students buy this purifier? Let us examine some of its key features.
- It has a three-stage filtration system that comprises a pre-filter, a true HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. They work hand in hand to remove dorm room odors and ensure their occupants breathe clean air.
- It has a timer set to 2, 4, or 8 hours.
- The 5-year warranty offered by this unit will give you peace of mind. You should, however, ensure that you buy the air purifier from the manufacturer or an authorized Honeywell dealer.
- You get three different fan settings and four cleaning levels to eliminate pet dander, dust, pollen, smoke, and dust mite debris.
- It has a filter replacement indicator that lets you know when your filters need changing.
Honeywell HPA 100 Specifications
Germ Guardian AC4825E
3-Stage filter: HEPA, Pre-filter, Activated Carbon Filter
(100) for smoke, (106) for dust and (100) for pollen
155 sq. ft
8.9H × 13.54W × 13.94D
5. Coway AP-1512HH
- Extensive coverage favoring large rooms
- Easy to use with simple controls
- Saves energy and money with Eco Mode
- Automatically toggles with different fan settings depending on room conditions, thus reducing user inputs.
- WI-FI-enabled versions to have app connectivity supporting voice control services like Amazon Alexa
- Noisy in high settings producing up to 57 dB
- Quite an expensive buy, especially if you are a college student looking for small air purifiers.
The Coway AP-1512HH is a performance-oriented option with a HEPA filter. It also comes with an air quality indicator, a deodorization filter for odors and gasses, and a pre-filter to deal with larger particles. With 361 sq. feet of coverage, the Coway AP-1512HH is a good buy if you have larger dorm rooms.
Coway AP-1512HH Features
The Coway AP-1512HH is among the best air purifiers for dorm and home use. So what are its key features? Let’s dive in and find out.
- It has extensive air filter coverage managing up to 361 sq. feet.
- The unique HyperCaptive Filtration system combines a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and a True HEPA filter to attain an effectiveness of 99.99%.
- While the Auto Mode setting is engaged, the unit can adjust depending on the state of your indoor air and provide the best air in real-time.
- The Eco Mode conserves energy by shutting down when fresh air is detected and automatically resuming purifying the air when it detects its pollution.
- The air purifier comes with an air quality indicator that shows the state of your air in real-time using a brightly colored LED.
- You also get filter alerts when pre-filters need cleaning or replacing.
- It has the Ultra Quiet mode that can be adapted for night operation.
- The onboard timer enables users to schedule operations between 1, 4, and 8 hours.
Coway AP-1512HH Specifications
3-Stage filter: True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, Deodorization filter
(247.5) for smoke, (232.3) for dust and (241.3) for pollen
361 sq. ft
18.3H × 16.8W × 9.6D
Air Filtration Technologies:
Real-Time Air Quality Monitoring, Auto Mode, Eco Mode, Timer
6. Hathaspace HSP-001 Air Purifier
- It has a 5 Stage filtration process.
- It has an effective automatic mode that detects the air quality and works in real time.
- Effective air cleaning properties and high CADR.
- Has trusted customer support.
- It cannot be integrated with android and iOS devices.
- Huge and bulky design.
The Hathaspace HSP-001 air purifier is a mid-sized unit covering large rooms up to 700 sq. feet. This user-friendly gadget has manual speed settings, Automatic mode, and a timer.
This mid-range purifier delivers superb performance thanks to its five-stage filtration system and should be among your top dorm room air purifier considerations.
Hathaspace HSP-001 Features
The Hathaspace HSP-001 is a highly capable air purifier for dorm rooms with decent coverage. Let’s have a look at its features and see what sets it apart from other models.
- The purifier features a 5 stage purification process, which includes Cold Catalyst Filter, Carbon Filter, Antibacterial Filter, HEPA Filter, and ionizer for effective cleaning.
- The Hathaspace HSP-001 has a considerable room coverage of up to 700 square feet.
- The purifier has four modes, including the sleeping mode, which allows the unit to run quietly when the lights are turned off.
- It is an effective air cleaner capable of removing smoke and dust particles. The unique honeycomb carbon filter helps in absorbing any odors.
- It features an intelligent quality sensor that helps detect any air pollutant and adjusts fans’ rotating speed in real-time to absorb them.
Hathaspace HSP-001 Specifications
5-Stage filtration: Cold Catalyst Filter, Carbon Filter, Antibacterial Filter, HEPA Filter, Ionizer / Anion Generator
(247.5) for smoke, (232.3) for dust and (241.3) for pollen
700 sq. ft
13 x 7 x 20
2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
Real-Time Quality air Monitoring, Automatic Mode, Manual Mode, Timer, sleep
7. Blueair 411 Auto
- Comes with a washable pre-filter.
- Has an air quality sensor and indicator.
- Has an automatic mode.
- It's Energy Star certified with low power consumption.
- Works with a smart plug.
- Slightly poor performance when dealing with volatile organic compounds.
- Does not come with a true Hepa filter.
The Blueair 411 Auto is the best compact purifier that works effectively in a smaller dorm room. It has a sleek design with a ventilated exterior, making it easy to blend in with the room’s interior.
The unit comes with two filters, a colored-burlap primary filter and a deodorizing carbon filter that captures up to 99.97% of air particles. The cleaner is relatively quiet, and you can barely hear it when you sleep, making it perfect for a smaller dorm room.
Blueair 411 Auto Features
The Blue Air 411 Auto is a small purifier with a sleek design that can easily blend into your room. But what are its key features, and what makes it perfect for your room? Here is all you need to know about this fantastic air purifier.
- The purifier has an auto mode that monitors the pollutants levels using a particle sensor.
- It has great filters that are capable of trapping particles and odor.
- The HEPA silent dual filtration ensures that it makes the least noise while performing at optimal levels.
- It comes with replaceable filters that have to be replaced every six months. However, it is highly recommended to use only genuine blue air replacement filters.
Blueair 411 Auto Specifications
Blueair 411 Auto
Grey, Light Grey, Pink, Green, Navy
3-Stage filtration: Washable fabric filter, Particle filter, Carbonated filter
(123) for smoke, (107) for dust and (96) for pollen
190 sq. ft
16.7 x 7.9 x 7.9
2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
Integrated Air Particle Sensor, Automatic Mode, LED Air Quality Indicator, Filter Quality Warning system
8. Levoit Core Mini
- Has a triple filtration system with aroma pads.
- Very quiet when working.
- Low power consumption.
- The indicators turn on and off automatically.
- Cheap to acquire and maintain.
- Does not have a True HEPA filter.
- The purifier has a low room coverage.
The Levoit Core Mini is a small air purifier with innovative technology, perfect for your dorm rooms. It differs from other brands by adding aroma pads to its three-stage filtration process, leaving your space with a pleasant scent of essential oils.
Levoit Core Mini Features
Levoit Core Mini is a unique air purifier with some standout features. Let’s take a look at some of its features below:
- It has aroma pads that leave your room smelling nice and fresh.
- The tiny size of the purifier makes it easy to fit anywhere and occupies less space.
- It has filters that get rid of allergens and pet dander.
- The purifier produces minimal sound, letting you sleep easily at night.
- The 3 stage filtration process cleans the air in a matter of seconds and uses 360° Vortex Technology.
Levoit Core Mini Specifications
Levoit Core Mini
3-Stage filtration: pre-filter, HEPA filter, activated carbon filter
45 Dust/ 34 Smoke/ 32 Pollen (cfm)
71 sq. ft
10.4 x 10.4 x 6.5
Filter Reset indicator, Aroma pad
9. Pure Enrichment PureZone with True Hepa Filter
- Has low maintenance costs.
- It has a true HEPA Filter.
- It comes with UV-C Light to deal with allergens.
- Has a Cool Design.
- It comes with 5 Years Warranty.
- It has a low room coverage.
Pure Enrichment PureZone is an air purifier that uses a 3-stage filter and UV light to safely clean the air in any dorm room. With its sleek appearance and true HEPA filter, the PureZone brings a sense of elegance to any room while removing 99.97% of particles as fine as 0.3 microns. It’s the ideal option to help those with common respiratory problems like allergies and asthma.
Pure Enrichment PureZone Features
Pure Enrichment PureZone is a unique air purifier with vast features. Let’s take a closer look at some of its notable specifications.
- Comes with affordable replaceable filters.
- Features UV-C light and an activated carbon filter that helps kill bacteria.
- The purifier has a true HEPA filter that removes the tiniest particles making it 99.7% effective.
- It has a 3-speed setting which makes it quiet when working on low modes.
- PureZone has the option to set automated work.
Pure Enrichment PureZone Specifications
Pure Enrichment PureZone
3-Stage filtration: pre-filter, HEPA filter, activated carbon filter
200 sq. ft
10.8 x 6.9 x 12.1
Filter Reset indicator, Automatic Timer, Touch Control
Why Do I Need an Air Purifier for My Dorm Room?
As you settle into your dorm room, you will notice that hygiene is generally overlooked. The air is usually stuffy, with all sorts of messy things scattered everywhere.
So, to deal with the dust, odors, allergens, and pollutants in these shared spaces, it is recommended to use an air purifier. A good air purifier will ensure you are safe from all these pollutants and air contaminants, which will, in turn, improve your overall college experience.
How Do Dorm Room Air Purifiers Work?
Dorm room air purifiers draw large amounts of air and pass that air through different filters. The HEPA and Activated Charcoal Filters capture all the impurities present in the air from dust, odors, dirt, allergens, and viruses. The now-cleansed air is then released into the room.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for College Dorm Room
When choosing air purifiers for dorm rooms, there are some factors you need to consider. They include:
1. Pay Attention to the Room Size
The average dorm room is small in size, meaning that before investing in an air purifier, you need to look at its coverage. Floor models are bulky and wouldn’t fit well in these tight spaces. Consider buying a desktop air purifier to clean the air around you while occupying less space.
2. Consider About the Type of Pollutants in the Room That You Need to Clean
Different air purifiers work best depending on the pollutants in your dorm. As a result, you need to analyze the prevalent contaminants before making a choice. HEPA filters work best with dust particles, pollen grains, smoke, and mold spores.
On the other hand, activated carbon filters shine at removing odors and VOCs, while UV light is perfect for pathogens. Ionizers also work well with odors but are less effective and omit ozone.
3. Check Air Purifier CADR rating
CADR rating helps show how much air a purifier can handle at a specified time. With these ratings, the higher, the better. So, to make sure you have the best and most powerful air purifier, go for the one with the highest CADR rating available.
4. Lookout for How Quiet is Air Purifier?
With an average dorm room being small, it is essential to use a quiet air purifier. Consider choosing one with a quiet mode and good sleep settings.
5. Check Filters Replacement Period
Depending on the brand you choose, the filters need regular replacement. HEPA air purifier filters typically need replacement between six to twelve months, while Activated Carbon filters only last three to six months.
6. Consider Building Quality
Nothing speaks more about build quality than a product’s warranty. Your ideal dorm air purifier should have a minimum of a 2-year warranty.
7. Ensure the Air Purifier User Friendliness
The best air purifiers have a simple and easy-to-use control panel. Ensure you get a user-friendly unit to enjoy all its performance seamlessly and effectively.
Are Dorm Room Air Purifiers Worth Buying?
Yes. Dorm room air purifiers are worth buying because:
- Dorms are shared spaces and are likely to have odors and air contaminants.
- They remove several allergens from the air and can come in handy for people with allergies.
- They lower your chances of suffering from respiratory diseases.
Why Dorm Room Air Purifiers May Not Be for You
In some cases, a dorm room air purifier won’t be necessary when:
- Your college or university does not allow dorm purifiers.
- Your dorm room is large, well-ventilated, and has clean aeration.
Getting the Best From an Air Purifier
To get the best from your air purifier, you should consider doing the following:
- During setup, ensure that no wrappers are still covering the filters inside the unit.
- Place the device at least 18 inches from any structures, be it walls or furniture, or in the middle of the room if possible.
- Always replace the filters whenever necessary.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do air purifiers help in dorm rooms?
Yes, air purifiers help in dorm rooms. They improve air conditions in dorms which are usually small and stuffy.
Is there a downside to air purifiers?
Yes, there is a downside to air purifiers: replacing the filters can be costly.
Do air purifiers make rooms less stuffy?
Yes, air purifiers make rooms less stuffy by removing the contaminant causing the stuffy smell.
I now wrap up this review, having covered some air purifier picks for your dorm rooms, their specifications, key features, pros, and cons. I hope the review makes it easier for you to choose one and enjoy clean air in your dormitory.
I recommend Pure Enrichment PureZone as it is the best air purifier for a dorm room. This unit is well-priced, has decent coverage, and performs impeccably, even removing allergens from the air.
Danny is a passionate writer who loves to share his knowledge about air purifiers. He’s been writing for 10 years, and he’ll share all that experience with Very Well Home viewers to help you make the best decision when it’s time to buy an appliance!