Struggling to know how to clean a Levoit air purifier? You are in the right spot. Air purifiers are devices that effectively remove dust and other pollutants from the air. However, you also need to clean them regularly for their longevity. How? Let me show you a few simple steps!
Keeping the Levoit Air Purifier clean is the key to a healthier home environment. During their work, the filters of these units may collect debris and dust. This needs to be removed quickly since it can damage the device as well as pollute your environment.
Here’s how you can tackle it:
- Disassemble the air purifier;
- Locate the dust or other debris on the parts;
- Employ a vacuum cleaner and gentle cleaning techniques.
These steps provide a basic overview of cleaning the Levoit air purifier. Continue reading to know more details, when it’s time to clean your purifier, maintenance dos and don’ts, and when to replace its filter.
Identifying Signs for Cleaning Your Levoit Air Purifier
The frequency of air purifier cleaning depends on usage patterns. If you never switch off your air purifier, the red light (indicator that informs the need for cleaning) will appear every six to eight months.
Other than that, here are some signs that indicate maintenance:
- Reduced Airflow: If your purifier produces less airflow, the HEPA filters may be blocked with dust, debris, and pollutants.
- Increased noise: When there’s an increase in the dust, the purifier’s fan works hard to push air making loud noises indicating dirty filters.
- Unpleasant odors: If the air purifier starts emitting unpleasant odors or if you notice a decline in the overall air quality in the room, it’s a sign to clean air filters.
- Allergens and dust in the room: When there is dust in the room, even when the purifier is switched on, it indicates that it is not efficiently capturing particles and needs proper cleaning.
How to Clean a Levoit Air Purifier: 6-Step Easy Guide
Properly cleaning your purifier can optimize its performance and maintain clean and fresh air quality. To make this possible, follow the below 6-step simple guide. Let’s explore it in detail!
1. Preparation for the Cleaning Process
Before you start cleaning your purifier, it’s essential to take a few steps to ensure an effective and safe cleaning process. Proper preparation will help you clean it thoroughly without risking any damage.
Here’s what you can do:
- Turn the purifier off and unplug it to avoid electrical mishaps.
- Allow it to cool down before cleaning.
- Put your device on a flat, solid surface to make the process easier.
Doing so will also ensure a safe cleaning experience. Additionally, it will keep your purifying unit running effectively.
2. Maintaining the Exterior Surface Tidy
Cleaning the exterior helps remove surface grime and dust, improving the purifier’s appearance. Moreover, it will help prevent pollutants from re-entering, giving you fresh air quality. Let’s see how you can do this:
- Use a soft, damp cloth to wipe down the outer surfaces of the Levoit air purifier, including the control panel and display.
- Ensure the cloth is not soaking wet to avoid water seeping into the internal components.
- Gently clean the air inlet and outlet vents to maintain unobstructed airflow.
- Avoid using harsh cleaning agents like bleach and liquid detergents that damage the unit’s electronics.
3. Using a Vacuum Cleaner to Clean HEPA Filters
Filter maintenance is essential for maximum efficiency. Therefore, regular cleaning of washable filters keeps them functional and increases their longevity, lowering the frequency of replacement. Read on to learn how you can do it:
- To clean the air purifier’s washable filters, follow the steps outlined in the user handbook or in the video shown below.
- Opt for a vacuum cleaner or gentle brush for dust and dirt removal.
- If the filters require cleaning, quickly wash them in cold water and let them dry fully before putting them back into the air purifier.
For added information, you can also watch this YouTube video, which explains the process in detail.
4. Cleaning the Fan
The fan is essential to your purifier for spreading fresh air and needs proper maintenance. Thoroughly cleaning the fan blades will provide you a proper airflow and effective operation.
Moreover, as we all know, dust accumulation on fans can hinder their performance, so follow the points below for regular check-ups.
- Carefully remove the front panel to gain access to the fan.
- To clear dust and dirt from the fan blades, utilize a gentle brush or compressed air.
- If you have a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment, you can use it to blow or suck away dust particles.
- Be gentle with air purifiers while cleaning to avoid bending or damaging the blades.
5. Cleaning the Air Quality Sensor
Some Levoit air purifiers contain sensors that measure air quality. In order to get the most out of your purifier and get accurate readings from your sensors, you should wipe them off regularly.
Let’s look at how to accomplish it.
- Find the air quality sensor by consulting the user manual for your Levoit air purifier.
- To remove dust or dirt accumulation, gently wipe the sensor’s surface with a soft, dry cloth.
- If the air quality sensor is protected by a cover, remove it and use a tiny cloth or brush to clean it.
- Once it is done, carefully put the front panel back in place and ensure it is securely fastened.
6. Reassembling the Purifier
Proper reassembly of the purifier is essential after cleaning to maintain optimal functionality. You can easily do it by checking these points:
- First, reinstall the clean filters back into their designated compartments or slots.
- Ensure the filters are securely in place and correctly oriented to maintain airflow.
- Close any access panels or compartments firmly to prevent dust and dirt from entering the air purifier.
- Always close access panels completely to maintain efficient air purification and prevent pollutants from entering the unit.
Changing the Levoit Air Purifier Filter: The Optimal Time
Cleaning Levoit air purifiers can improve their performance, but you must replace the filters every few months to keep them working:
- According to Levoit, you must change the filters every 6-8 months.
- However, if you have carbon filters, they need to be replaced every 3 months.
Here are some signs that indicate that you need to replace your air purifier’s filters:
- Filter Replacement Indicator: Many Levoit air purifiers come with replacement indicators. If they turn red, your filter needs cleaning or replacement.
- Loss of HEPA Filter Structure: When you use it for an extended period, the filters start to deteriorate, lose their structure, and become damaged, indicating Levoit air filter replacement.
- Presence of Visible Tears or Holes: Physical damage, such as holes in the filter, can compromise its filtration capabilities, allowing pollutants to bypass the filter and circulate in the air. If you notice any of these, replace your filters.
- Noticeable Increase in Energy Consumption: An activated carbon filter nearing the end of its lifespan can cause the air purifier to consume more energy. Replacing it will result in potential savings and cleaner air quality.
Essential Do’s and Don’ts for Levoit Air Purifier Maintenance
Regularly cleaning air purifiers is just one side of the coin. To increase its lifespan, you still need to do a few things! So, follow these maintenance dos and don’ts to keep your air purifier operating efficiently and getting the most out of it.
Let’s explore what you need to do for better cleaning:
- Regular Cleaning: Use a gentle, wet cloth to wipe away dust and debris from the air purifier’s exterior.
- Consult the User Manual: Review the manual for precise cleaning instructions and guidelines.
- Look out for Filter Indicator: Pay close attention to the filter replacement signal and follow its instructions for prompt filter replacements.
- Use Vacuum Cleaner for Pre-Filter: If your model has a washable pre-filter, you can gently brush it or use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust and debris.
- Rinse Washable Filters: If applicable, rinse washable filters under cold water and allow them to dry completely before reinstalling.
- Keep Vents Clear: Ensure the air inlet and outlet vents are unobstructed to maintain proper airflow.
Now that you know the dos, it’s time to check out which things aren’t allowed:
- Do Not Use Harsh Cleaners: Chemicals and abrasive cleaners like bleach should be kept away from the air purifier to prevent surface damage.
- Do Not Submerge Filters: Never submerge non-washable filters in water, as it can compromise efficiency and damage the air purifier.
- Avoid Wet Surfaces: When cleaning, avoid getting water into the internal components of the air purifier to prevent electrical hazards.
- Don’t Ignore Filter Replacement: Don’t neglect filter replacement, as old and clogged filters reduce the purifier’s effectiveness.
- Do Not Clean While Plugged In: Always unplug the air purifier before cleaning to ensure safety and prevent accidents.
- Avoid Using Damaged Filters: Never use damaged or torn filters, as they may not effectively filter the air and can lead to reduced performance.
Can you clean a Levoit air purifier?
Yes, you can clean it, but the process and the parts to be cleaned depends on different Levoit air purifier models. In general, you can clean the filter with a vacuum hose to remove any excess dust. But if you wash them, remember to dry air purifiers thoroughly to prevent mold accumulation.
How do you clean and reuse Levoit filters?
To clean and reuse Levoit filters, gently vacuum or rinse them (if applicable) to remove dust and debris. It is advised to dry them fully before using them. Always refer to the product manual for specific cleaning instructions.
Can Levoit air filters be washed?
Yes, only some Levoit filters can be washed. Consult the manual to verify washing information. Although, the brand doesn’t recommend washing the main filters with water as it can result in mold growth. On the other hand, pre-filters can be washed.
Summing up, performing regular maintenance is vital for running your Levoit air purifier for an extended period of time. Additionally, it will also contribute to fresh indoor air.
To clean your air purifier, unplug and clean the purifier’s exterior, filters, fan, and sensor gently, then reassemble correctly for efficient operation.
Finally, don’t use any harsh chemicals while cleaning, as these can cause damage to the model. Additionally, make sure to set a consistent cleaning schedule for your purifier to prevent frequent blockage.
Danny is a passionate writer who loves to share his knowledge about air purifiers. He’s been writing for 10 years, and he’ll share all that experience with Very Well Home viewers to help you make the best decision when it’s time to buy an appliance!