Are you looking for the best budget air purifiers? Then you have landed in the right place. Among hundreds of products, I have come up with the 9 best affordable and effective units. You can select the most suitable one from the list. So, let’s dive deep into the detail of each purifier!
A Quick Overview
The best budget air purifier should have a number of features. In order to find your top pick, make sure the purifier has the following qualities.
- The price should not exceed $200. A hundred dollars can be enough for some devices.
- It must have a HEPA filter for better performance.
- The unit must be effective in removing dust, odor, and allergens.
- It should have a timer option, night mode, and a low noise level.
But how can you pick the most affordable air purifier? I made this in-depth research for you. So continue reading to find your perfect product.
Best Budget Air Purifiers: Top 9 Units
Let’s compare the best air purifiers in the following chart.
2. HEPA Filter,
3. Carbon Filter
219 Sq Ft
Price not available
1. True HEPA filter,
2. Activated carbon pre-filter
155 Sq Ft
2. HEPA Filter,
3. Carbon Filter
129 Sq Ft
Price not available
2. HEPA Filter,
3. Charcoal Filter
153 Sq Ft
1. Nylon pre-filter,
2. HEPA Filter,
3. Carbon Filter
183 Sq Ft
1. Washable fabric pre-filter,
2. HEPA Filter,
3. Carbon Filter
161 Sq Ft
2. HEPA filter,
3. Activated carbon
215 Sq Ft
2. High-Efficiency filter,
3. Activated Carbon
100 Sq Ft
2. Activated Carbon Filter
160 Sq Ft
1. Best Overall Air Purifier: Levoit Core 300
Let me tell you about the benefits and drawbacks of this air purifier. Then you shall understand why I have picked it at the top of my list.
- Affordable pricing, less than a hundred bucks.
- Incredibly low noise level.
- Lightweight and compact design.
- Timer and sleep mode for customizable operation.
- Highly suitable for pet dander and allergen removal.
- Not suitable for commercial space.
Levoit Core 300 is one of the most affordable air purifiers in the market today, with some impeccable features and aesthetic design. Within just 10 minutes, it can remove dust, debris, pet dander, and other pollutants from a master bedroom. Like most air purifiers, it also eliminates any trace of unpleasant smell.
An eye-catching sleek design, low noise production, effective filtration technology, and, most importantly, an affordable price range puts this purifier at the top of my list.
Take a closer look at some of the key features of this purifier.
- Levoit Core 300 can cover a whopping 219 sq ft area per hour and has a clean air delivery rate of 141 CFM.
- It has a three-in-one filter to deal with fine dust of 0.3 microns and to improve indoor air quality.
- There are four different replacement filters: original, pet allergy, smoke remover, and toxin absorber. You can choose any of them as per your requirements.
- The VortexAir Technology provides 360° air circulation and better purification.
- You can lock the display, control the fan speed, and check when to change filters on the display.
Let’s have a swift glance at the key specs o Levoit Core 300.
Levoit Core 300
219 Square feet
Smoke-141, Pollen-145, Dust-140
Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter
8.7 x 8.7 x 14.2 inches
2. Best Budget Purifier for Medium Space: Honeywell HPA100
Let’s sum up the positive and negative sides of Honeywell HPA100 first.
- Best for wildfire smoke removal.
- Feasible pricing.
- Easy to maintain and clean.
- AHAM, APA, and Energy Star certified.
- Filter replacement indicator and auto timer.
- Display light dimmer for better sleep.
- Annoying noise level.
Another affordable air purifier on our list is Honeywell HPA100. It doesn’t have a higher price tag, but you can rest assured about its higher quality and advanced filtration system. As a HEPA purifier, it is highly effective in removing microscopic organisms and bacteria.
Here are listed the key features.
- The True HEPA filter eliminates 99% of allergens and airborne particles.
- It has three different cleaning levels and a Turbo Clean option for faster air filtration.
- Auto-off timer option for 2,4, and 8 hours.
- You can upgrade to the Allergen Plus series if asthma and allergen are your main focus.
Let’s explore the noteworthy specs of this unit.
155 Square feet
~ 110 CFM
True HEPA filter, Activated carbon pre-filter
60 dB maximum
13.94 x 13.54 x 8.9 inches
5 Years limited warranty
3. Best Budget Purifier for Small Rooms: Levoit LV-H132
Let’s explore some of the pros and cons of this purifier.
- Best air purifier for noiseless operation.
- Comes just under 90 bucks.
- UV-C light and Ozone free operation.
- Compact and aesthetic design.
- Small area coverage.
Down the line, we have another Levoit purifier with almost similar technology. Like other air purifiers from Levoit, Levoit LV-H132 also contain a three-stage filtration with HEPA filters, activated carbon filters, and pre-filters.
You can utilize this unit for a smaller room, kitchen, and other places. This purifier has an artistic and lightweight design that fits any place. It doesn’t use ozone to neutralize microbes, so it is pretty safe for children and pets.
Have a closer look at the key features of Levoit LV-H132.
- The noise level is not only 24 dB in whisper quiet mode. Even in the highest setting, the unit produces tolerable noise.
- The display lights can be turned off and dimmed during the night.
- There are three fan speeds for different pollution levels.
Here are some of the noteworthy specs.
129 Square feet
Pre-filter, HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter
~ 25-46 dB
7.9 x 7.9 x 12.6 inches
4. Best Air Purifier Under $100: Germ Guardian AC4825E
Let’s find out the benefits and drawbacks of this air purifier.
- Ultra quiet mode for sleeping hours.
- Substantial level of germ and allergen removal.
- Especially effective in eliminating odors.
- Filter change indicator.
- Super Easy to operate and maintain.
- Not ergonomically designed.
It is a bit difficult to make a list of air purifiers without having a GermGuardian product in it. Germ Guardian AC4825E is one of the top air purifiers that can provide you with clean air and better breathing space for just a hundred bucks. Its HEPA filtration technology is one of the finest.
Let’s explore the notable features of this unit.
- True HEPA filters and charcoal filters provide the ultimate defense against harmful particles, mold spores, and unpleasant odors.
- Unlike other air purifiers, the replacement filters are to be changed after 6-8 months of use.
- The ozone-free UV-C provides protection against viruses, bacterial agents, and germs.
Have a swift glance at the specification below.
Germ Guardian AC4825E
153 Square feet
Smoke-99, Dust-118, Pollen-125
Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, Carbon Charcoal Filter
Less than 50 dB
6.75 x 10.25 x 22 inches
5. Best Smart and Affordable Purifier: Levoit Core 200S
Let me show you the pros and cons of this unit.
- Unbelievably cheap but work great.
- Remote access through the VeSync Mobile app.
- Compact and attractive design.
- Voice control, including Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Night mode, fan speed, and light-off technology.
- Lack of air quality sensor.
If you ask me what is the most affordable and smart air purifier, I will introduce you to Levoit Core 200S. It’s one of the best affordable air purifiers that comes with all smart features and innovative technology. I’m impressed by its mobile access facility and such a cheap price range.
I have listed below some of the crucial features.
- The three-in-one filtration eliminates any fine dust, particles, and fumes and provides satisfactory indoor air quality.
- The unit can be controlled by the VeSynch app and voice commands.
- You can run scheduled cleaning and set a timer.
- The QuiteKEAP technology helps to reduce the noise level in sleep mode.
Let’s explore what are the specs of this purifier.
Levoit Core 200S
183 Square feet
Nylon Pre-filter, HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter
Touch, Mobile App, Voice
8.07 x 8.07 x 12.6 inches
6. Quiet and Budget-Friendly Purifier: BLUEAIR Blue 411 (Non-Auto)
Let’s delve into the pros and cons of this air purifier.
- Low energy consumption.
- One of the quietest air purifiers.
- Simple one-button control.
- Great for smaller rooms.
- Auto mode for better performance.
- Lack of smart features like timer option.
The Blueair Blue 411 model comes with incredible features and satisfactory filtration technology. It is one of the most awarded purifiers in the market today. Its 360-degree air intake and low pricing make it a great choice as a budget-friendly purifier.
Let’s find out what are the main features of Blue Pure 411.
- The purifier includes a HEPASilent technology that provides faster and cleaner air.
- The washable pre-filter increases the lifespan and effectiveness of the unit. The pre-filter comes in different colors to suit your home decoration.
- The device produces as low noise as 17 dB at the lowest setting. So, it’s highly suitable for peaceful sleep.
Have a look at the main specs of this purifier.
BLUEAIR Blue 411
160 Square feet
Washable fabric pre-filter, HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter
8 x 8 x 3.94
7. Best Filtration and Odor Removal: Toshiba Air Purifier CAF-W36USW
I have listed below the strengths and weaknesses of this air purifier.
- Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Voice control, including Alexa.
- UV light sanitization for virus and germ protection.
- Help with asthma and allergies.
- Great for odor removal.
- A bit noisy.
Toshiba CAF-W36USW is another smart purifier that comes within an affordable price range. It offers HEPA filtration technology that powerfully eliminates any 0.3 microns from the air. Most fascinating is its compatibility with mobile devices that give you control over the unit from distant places.
Let’s explore the key features of this unit.
- The three fan settings can help you adjust the speed as per the air pollution level.
- It is compatible with Alexa, so you can control it with your voice command.
- It contains a powerful UV light sanitization setting that helps eliminate viruses, bacteria, and germs.
Have a glance at the specs of the Toshiba air purifier.
215 Square feet
Pre-filter, HEPA filter, Activated carbon
6.89 x 10.08 x 26.57
8. The Cheapest Air Purifier: BISSELL MYair Air Purifier
Let’s learn about the benefits and drawbacks of this air purifier.
- Medical-grade filtration technology.
- Lightweight, compact, and portable.
- Lower noise production.
- Satisfactory customer service.
- Timer option.
- No medium level, only high and low speed.
BISSELL MYair is one of the smallest air purifiers that cost less than $60. Its small size makes it almost unnoticeable in the room. But it is a solid unit with HEPA filtration at the core. So you can expect a substantial filtration level from this air purifier.
I have listed below some of the noteworthy features of this unit.
- The three-stage filtration provides protection against any unpleasant odors and allergens.
- You can opt for high or lower fan speed based on air pollution.
- It operates at whisper quiet sound. So you get a better sleeping environment.
Now find out the main specs of this purifier.
100 Square feet
Smoke-57, Dust-69, Pollen-67
Pre-filter, High-Efficiency filter, Activated Carbon
8.27 x 3 x 12.2
9. Best for Bacteria and Virus Removal: Instant HEPA Quiet Air Purifier
Have a swift look at the pros and cons of Instant HEPA.
- Advanced HEPA-13 filtration technology.
- Long-lasting filter life.
- Low noise and lights off during sleeping hours.
- Effortless filter change and maintenance.
- Eco mode for energy save.
- Not suitable for larger spaces.
The last affordable air purifier on our list is Instant HEPA Quiet. It has an advanced and powerful HEPA-13 filter that captures ultrafine particles from the surrounding. It’s a great device for neutralizing microbes like bacteria, viruses, and molds. Its ion radiation does the job.
Here are the key features one should know about this unit.
- The auto mode provides auto-adjustment of fan speed. So you can rest assured about the air quality once you start the purifier.
- Filter replacement is not as frequent as many air purifiers from reputed brands. A filter can last more than a year before you need to change it. So it saves a lot of money in the long run.
- The Plasma Ion technology radiates both positive and negative ions. Thus, you get better breathing space.
Let’s find out the main specs on the following chart.
Instant HEPA Quiet
160 Square feet
HEPA-13, Activated Carbon Filter
~45 dB Max
9.83 x 9.83 x 16.54
How to Get the Best Affordable Air Purifier: A Comprehensive Buying Guide
It is not an easy-peasy task to find the best budget air purifier. You may end up buying cheap air purifiers that can only give you poor air quality and unwanted headaches.
Don’t worry, though. I have come up with 4 crucial points that will help you to decide better. Consider this buying guide before you make the final purchase.
1. HEPA Filter and Carbon Filter Are Must
In your quest for the best cheap air purifiers, don’t overlook the quality of filters. HEPA filters and carbon filters should be given the highest priority for fresh and clean air. Let me tell you a bit in detail.
- Carbon Filters: Affordable air purifiers should have a carbon filter because it reduces the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and eliminates unwanted odors from the air. Charcoal filters are also good for smell and smoke removal. I suggest you go for a carbon filter.
- HEPA Filters: The most crucial component of an air purifier unit is its HEPA filtration. Ideally, this air filter traps and eliminates fine particles, pollens, danders, and anything harmful. HEPA filters successfully improve the air quality and the clean air delivery rate.
2. Room Size and Capacity Ratio
An air purifier has a certain capacity to remove dust and odor. If the room size exceeds the expected area coverage, the purifier won’t be effective.
Each manufacturer tells you the highest room coverage in their advertisement. They usually have a clean air delivery rate to measure the air cleaning capacity. Regarding AHAM, the CADR of your unit shouldn’t be any less than 2/3 of the recommended area coverage. Here are a few points you should mark:
- Make sure a 300-500 sq ft room has an air purifier with at least CADR of around 150.
- If the room is between 500-1000 sq ft, the CADR should be no less than 300-500.
- For more than 1000 sq ft of room coverage, a CADR of 600 would be perfect.
3. Don’t Fall for Smart Features
If your air purifier has smart technology, that should be fine. But a budget-friendly purifier cannot have all the features at a limited price.
So, if budget is your concern, then you can overlook some of the lacking. However, if any unit offers some cool features at an affordable price, you should go for it (Levoit Core 200S, for example.)
4. Avoid Cheap Air Purifiers
Please note that cheap air purifiers are not always good.
- From our evaluation, the best budget-friendly purifiers should cost you no less than $70-80.
- If you want all smart features, an affordable air purifier will cost you $100-150.
- Never buy a purifier for under 50 bucks. Most of them are just worthless.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I spend on an air purifier?
You should spend around $100-$200 for a medium-ranged air purifier. However, don’t go for a cheap air purifier if you want satisfactory air quality.
Do air purifiers really reduce dust?
Yes, air purifiers reduce dust and airborne particles to a substantial level. Note that they cannot eliminate 100% dust.
So now you know some of the most affordable air purifiers. Ensure you have chosen the purifier with HEPA filtration technology, good area coverage, low noise level, and a plausible price range. Don’t go blindly for cheap purifiers. They can be your headache and a waste of money.
My personal favorite is Levoit Core 300 because it is affordable and powerful. The efficiency level is pretty satisfactory, and the 360° air circulation is amazing. It’s an all-in-one package that comes at $100.
Levoit Core 300 is an extraordinary unit that comes with a sleek design, powerful 3-stage filtration, a timer option, sleep mode, and a satisfactory CADR. It is optimal for medium and small rooms. The price is pretty affordable, and it is worth every single penny!
Danny is a passionate writer who loves to share his knowledge about air purifiers. He’s been writing for 10 years, and he’ll share all that experience with Very Well Home viewers to help you make the best decision when it’s time to buy an appliance!