If you are searching for an air purifier with smart features, quiet operation, and a powerful air filtration system, all that for an affordable price, then this Winix 5300-2 Review is for you.
Let’s dive into the details.
The stylish Winix 5300-2 has a 4-stage air filtration system that cleans the air of dust, hair, VOCs, odors, and pollutants. It is highly beneficial to people suffering from allergies or asthma.
Along with powerful air filters, Winix 5300-2 also has smart features like:
- Auto and sleep modes
- Air quality indicator
- Quiet operation.
That too at an affordable price!
I will walk you through a detailed overview of the pros, cons, and features of this Winix air purifier. Let’s start the Winix 5300-2 review with the specifications table.
Winix 5300-2 Specifications
Take a look at the Winix 5300-2 specification.
Washable fine mesh pre-filter, Activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, PlasmaWave
UL listed, Energy star rated, AHAM certified, CADR certified
360 sq ft
AC 120 V / 60 Hz
4 (low, medium, high, turbo)
Noise level at:
Lowest fan setting
Highest fan setting
Carbon filter: 3 months
HEPA filter: 12 months
Dimension (H x W x D):
23.6” x 15” x 8.2”
Winix 5300-2 Pros and Cons
Winix 5300-2 air purifier has advanced features and operates efficiently. But it has a few drawbacks too. You must know and check them before buying. Discover the pros and cons of the 5300-2 air purifier.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier – Test
The Winix 5300-2 air purifier performance was tested in a room of 150 sq ft. Here are the observations.
1. Particle Concentration
Winix 5300-2 air purifier reduced the particle concentration in the room to the lowest level in only 16 minutes. It is fast at reducing particle concentration and cleaning the air.
2. Filter Performance
Winix 5300-2 came with a washable pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and true HEPA filter. Here is how the air filtration process takes place:
- The air that passed through the intake grille had to first go through the pre-filter. The pre-filter captured large particles like dust, hair, and debris.
- Then the air passed through the activated carbon filter that reduced VOCs and odors. It was observed that the activated carbon filters were not as effective as the ones with carbon pellets for advanced odor control.
- The last line of defense was the true HEPA. Due to carbon and pre-filter, the burden on true HEPA filters was less. It efficiently trapped minute airborne allergens like mold spores, dust mites, and pollen.
- Finally, the PlasmaWave eliminated harmful airborne particles by releasing charged ions.
We will look at these filters in detail later.
3. Air Movement
Winix 5300-2 air purifiers measured a CFM of 246. It means the air purifier filters 246 cubic ft. of air every minute. Hence, the air purifier is ideal for medium and large rooms. Though for large-sized rooms, you need to turn on the turbo mode which is noisy.
4. Energy Efficiency
Winix 5300-2 air purifier is Energy Star rated for its low power consumption. It consumed 64.4W of power at its highest fan setting. This number is better than most budget air purifiers in the market.
5. Noise Levels
Winix air purifiers are known for their quiet operation. Winix 5300-2 operated at a low noise level for its first three fan speeds. The noise level at the low fan setting was 27 dB and 49.4 at the high.
The air purifier was only noisy at its turbo mode producing a noise level of 67.5 dB. If you are using the air purifier for a small or medium-sized room, you will not even need to turn on the turbo mode.
6. Durability Check
Winix 5300-2 was well built with high-quality material for parts.
Winix 5300-2 air purifiers did not have a remote control or Wi-Fi adaptability. You can only operate it using the control panel on the top of the air purifier.
It also did not have the option of turning off the control panel lights which are disturbing during the night. The only solution to this problem is to put black tape over the LED indicator light.
Winix 5300-2 Test Verdict
I would like to point out that the Winix 5300-2 is a decent air purifier and rated it a 4.7 on a scale of 5. The features that impressed me the most were:
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier : Stages Of Filtration
Winix 5300-2 has four air filtration stages, as seen above. Let’s look at each one of them in further detail.
Air Filtration One: Washable Fine Mesh Pre-Filter
Winix 5300-2 air purifier comes with a washable fine mesh pre-filter. Here are its features:
- It captures large particles like dust and hair.
- Due to the accumulation of dirt and debris, the pre-filter has to be cleaned every two weeks for optimal performance.
- It is a permanent filter and does not need any replacement.
- An efficient pre-filter lowers the burden on the rest of the filters and extends their lives.
Air Filtration Two: Activated Carbon Filter
The activated carbon filter in Winix 5300-2 is actually a fiber filter coated with carbon. Here are its features:
- It reduces VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and unwanted odors caused by cooking, smoke, paints, waste, or pets.
- The carbon filter needs replacement every three months as it is not washable.
- It does not have an advanced odor-reducing carbon filter with pellets. This makes it less efficient than the AOC carbon filters.
If you are in search of an air purifier to get rid of unwanted odor, Winix 5300-2 might not be the best choice. You can check out Winix 5500-2 which comes with an advanced odor-control carbon filter.
Air Filtration Three: True HEPA Filter
Winix 5300-2 has a true HEPA filter. Here are its features:
- It captures 99.97% of the minuscule allergens like pet dander, pollen, viruses, mold spores, and bacteria.
- It can trap particles up to 0.3 microns in size.
- True HEPA filter cannot be washed. It needs replacement every 12 months.
Air Filtration Four: PlasmaWave Technology
Winix air purifiers have patented PlasmaWave technology. It releases charged ions into the atmosphere. They attach to harmful airborne contaminants and change their molecular structure to neutralize them.
Caution – The manufacturer claims PlasmaWave to be a natural air purification technology. But many users are skeptical about it. If you have doubts about it, you can easily turn it off using the PlasmaWave button on the control panel.
Video Review – Winix 5300-2
Here is a detailed video review of Winix 5300-2 stating its specifications, filter types, and pros and cons.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifiers – Room Coverage
Winix 5300-2 is ideal for medium and large-sized rooms of 360 sq ft like:
- Living room
It has an ACH (Air Changes Per Hour) of 4x. That means Winix 5300-2 filters the complete air flow of a room four times in an hour.
The CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of Winix 5300-2 is:
- Dust 243
- Smoke 232
- Pollen 246
A higher CADR represents higher efficiency of the air cleaning system.
Winix 5300-2 – Noise Level
Winix 5300-2 plays a chiming sound when switched on or off. It is troublesome for many users, but there is no way to turn it off. Let’s look deeper at the noise level of this air purifier:
- Winix air purifiers are praised for their quiet operation. It operates at 27 dB at its lowest fan setting. This is almost unnoticeable.
- But the Winix 5300-2 air purifier produces loud noise of 67.5 dB at turbo mode. It is equivalent to white noise. Considering you will not need turbo mode as often, this should not be a problem. Or you can schedule it to run when you are not at home.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier – Control Panel Functions
The control panel has multiple easy-to-use buttons and indicators. They are listed below, along with their functions.
1. Power button
You can switch the device on or off using this button.
2. Mode (Auto & Sleep) Button
Winix 5300-2 has two modes: Auto and Sleep. You can switch between them using the mode button.
The auto mode enables automatic operation. It adjusts the fan speed as per the air quality.
High or Turbo
You do not have to worry about the air purifier in the slightest. The auto mode will do your job.
Sleep mode enables ultra-quiet operation during nighttime. It ensures your sleep does not get disturbed. It uses a light sensor to detect the amount of brightness in the environment. If the room is dark, the sleep mode will automatically turn on.
3. PlasmaWave Button
You can turn the PlasmaWave on or off using this button.
4. Fan Speed Button
Winix 5300-2 has four fan speed options:
- High, and
You can manually switch between the fan speeds using the fan speed button.
5. Timer Button
5300-2 Winix air purifier has a timer feature. You can set it for 1, 4, or 8 hrs. The air cleaner will run for that period and automatically shut off once done.
6. Check Filter (Filter Replacement) Indicator
Filter replacement indicator notifies you when the HEPA filter needs replacement. The basis of this indicator is not the durability of the filter. Instead, it is the time period.
HEPA filter needs replacement every 12 months. The filter replacement indicator will remind you once those 12 months are up.
7. Reset Filter Button
When you replace the HEPA filter, hit the reset button to start a new filter life cycle.
8. Smart Sensors (Odor & Light)
Winix 5300-2 has an odor and light smart sensors.
- Odor Sensor – detects the number of odorous gases in the environment. This smart sensor helps determine the quality of air.
- Light Sensor – detects the amount of ambient light in the environment. The sleep mode functions with the help of this smart sensor.
9. Air Quality Indicator
The LED light on the control panel is the air quality display. It indicates the real-time quality of air.
You will be aware of the quality of air in your environment at all times.
Winix 5300-2 – Design And Size
Winix 5300-2 is a modern air purifier with a grey and black exterior with a matte finish. It effortlessly blends in with the interior. It is also lightweight, so you can easily shift it anywhere using the handle at the back.
The dimension and weight of this Winix air purifier are:
Dimension (H x W x D)
23.6” x 15” x 8.2”
The air intake grille is at the front. The air output is at the top alongside the control panel.
Who Is The Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier For?
Winix 5300-2 air purifier with an intense 4-stage filtration is for anyone who wants clean air and a dustless home.
Yet, there is a specific group of people I would recommend it to:
- Price-sensitive buyers looking for a high-quality air purifier for an affordable price.
- People suffering from allergies or asthma.
- Pet owners who want to get rid of pet hair, dander, and odor.
- People looking for a stylish and compact air purifier for a medium or large room.
- Those who do not need an advanced odor-control carbon filter to get rid of unwanted odors.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does Winix 5300 2 produce ozone?
No, Winix 5300-2 does not produce ozone. It uses PlasmaWave technology that naturally eliminates bacteria and viruses. But if you are doubtful, you can switch it off using the Plasmwave button on the control panel.
Can I wash the carbon filter in Winix?
No, you cannot wash the carbon filter in Winix 5300-2. It is a fibrous filter coated with carbon which is not washable. You can only replace it.
Why is my Winix air purifier staying red?
Red LED light indicates poor air quality. But if your LED light stays red for a prolonged period, the air filter must be clogged. You either need to clean or replace it. Another reason might be that the air pollution in your area is higher than the capacity of the air purifier.
Winix 5300-2 has high value for money. It is equipped with high CFM, a powerful air filtration system, energy efficiency, and quiet operation.
It also has four fan speed options, auto and sleep modes, and dual smart sensors. All these smart features for a low price.
4-stage filtration. It effectively removes dust, dirt, smoke, odors, volatile organic compounds, and pollutants and makes your home air excellent. Check the current price of the Winix 5300-2 right now!
I hope this Winix 5300-2 review was helpful to you in making a buying decision. Which feature in the Winix 5300-2 is your favorite? Please comment below.
Danny is a passionate writer who loves to share his knowledge about air purifiers. He’s been writing for 10 years, and he’ll share all that experience with Very Well Home viewers to help you make the best decision when it’s time to buy an appliance!